Here’s a cliche truth: Life is short.
Do you want to spend yours being a serious mess of anxiety or a hilarious mess of anxiety? I chose the latter and put a lot of effort into making my life silly, which leads to a lot of laughter, both from me and those who get a peek inside my wild world.
I try to fill my space and time with things that make me burst with happiness. I want to see so much beauty, I cry. I want to laugh so hard, my stomach hurts. Under all this anxiety shit, I want to be passionately happy.
Here are things that make me giggle:
- The fort I built in my office
- Having a bed for a couch as well as a bed for a bed so I have sleep location options
- Colourful, comfy, ridiculous clothes like my zebra print onesie
- Dresses with pockets
- Bumper stickers like mine which reads “Aunty Em, hate you, hate Kansas, taking the dog.”
- Narwhals, like the one on my right ring finger, my finger puppet and my 2016 calendar
- Cats, like the one on my left ring finger and the three who cuddle me all day and night
- Eating wild edibles, like clover flowers, dandelions, purslane and lamb’s quarters
- Drinking out of tea cups
- My Little Pony
- Creepy dolls, like my Chucky
- Mashed potato and gravy sandwiches
- Playing tricks on friends, like hiding funny dolls in their home without their knowledge
- Teasing and wrestling and cuddling my nephews (and encouraging them to call me hilarious names, like Tuna)
- Doing the same thing with my partner, Dorkus
Sometimes, when I’m having a rotten day, I call Dorkus to complain. He likes to point out the positives. I hate when he points out the positives. But, sometimes, when he mentions one of these things which I love, I can’t help but smile. It’s hard to feel completely lost and hopeless and alone when sipping homemade ginger beer from a octopus tea cup inside a frilly fort with My Little Pony toys while three cats fight for your snuggles and love.
That’s just a fact.
This week on Ramblings of an Anxious Mess, I go into a bit more detail about why I’m such a weirdo.