This year, I’ve been working on a project I’m calling My Kindest Year. Each day, I do one nice thing for another person and one nice thing for myself.
Doing nice things for myself has been the most difficult. I’ve been putting it off until the end of the day and then not doing anything particularly special. Which is okay, but I do want to go a little above and beyond some of the time.
Here’s a list of acts of love I can do towards myself:
- Go to bed extra early;
- Take a long, hot bath;
- Stop for a coffee on my walk home from counselling / biofeedback;
- Cook myself a nice dinner when I’m going to be eating alone;
- Ask others for help or to do something special for me;
- Knit myself gifts;
- Read for hours without feeling guilty about not being productive;
- Take breaks from work to cuddle the animals in my home;
- Bake my favourite pastries and desserts;
- Do my nails;
- Ignore emails / social media comments from trolls;
- Sit out on social events when I’m not feeling up to it;
- Buy myself nice vegan cheeses and beauty products for no occasion;
- Be totally okay going out without make-up;
- Give myself compliments; and
- Use the things I’m saving because “I’ll probably never be able to afford this again!”, like soy candles and dark chocolate and face masks.
Are you frequently nice to yourself? What do acts of love towards you look like?